Monday, March 19, 2012

Further Evidence of the Sije - Dolosic Connection

Thomas Dolosic (1895-1927)
One of the problems I have had as a genealogist is that I inherited quite a bit of material from relatives and connections before I had an established filing system.  (Of course, I am still tinkering with my system and am hardly as organized as I should be.)  One of the symptoms of this problem is that I sometimes stumble across copies of records that I thought has been reviewed and referenced in my GMP (Genealogical Management Program) but, upon further review, somehow escaped notice.

In a previous post, I listed the members of the Dolosic family.  I further explained that, despite being told that the family came from Delnice, Croatia, I think that any record-search should begin with Sije, Croatia, a much smaller town about seven miles from Delnice.

A passenger record from the S.S. Pannonia sailing from Fiume, October 19, 1912, and arriving in New York in November 1912, shows a Toma Dolusic, 17 years old, male and single.  His profession is listed as laborer.  His last residence is given as Sije, Hungary, which is also listed as his place of birth.  His father, Tomo Dolusic, also of Sije, is listed as his nearest relative in his home country.  His final destination is listed as Anton Dolusic, 915 Scott Street, Joliet, Illinois.

This record, presumably containing information given first-hand from Thomas Dolosic, further solidifies my theory that the Dolosic family is from Sije, Croatia.

(Further information is that Toma was 5 feet 5 inches, with a dark complexion, black hair, and black eyes.  Also, interestingly, was admitted to the Ellis Island hospital.  He was later discharged.

Toma was traveling with a boy of 10, Vinko Violic, also born in Sije, and going to join his father Vidic Vinko, also at 915 Scott Street, Joliet, Illinois.  His final destination is listed as Romeo, Will County, Illinois.)

[Source:  Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957; (National Archives Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls); Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C; Roll: T715_1971; Line: 26; Page Number: 208]

No comments:

Post a Comment